As a CBT therapist, you are very valuable at all times, but never more so than in this time of runaway stress. It is more important than ever that you take care of your valuable asset -yourself! Take a look at the following list, and consider if there is something that you could do improve your self-care this week. Think about small steps, like taking 10 minutes every day to practice mindfulness, or finding a funny recorded book to listen to on your daily walk.
- Recognize the role of anxiety – it can be helpful or unhelpful.
- Accept that the future is uncertain
- Practice mindfulness – feel the ground under your feet
- Find the positives and remember the things you value in your life
- Exercise most days
- Have social interactions every day
- Eat a healthy diet to nourish your body
- Make sure to get enough but not too much sleep
- Limit social media and compulsive information checking
- Find ways to help others
- Embrace imperfection
- Model being brave and tolerating disappointment to your family and clients
Want more about how to implement these tips? Listen to a recent webinar given to parents: https://vimeo.com/411109244